- Horizons Unlimited homepage and forum provides excellent information to anyone who likes to travel (not for packet travellers). Really active message board can help you with your questions. Highly recommend you to attend HU-meetings which are organized all around the world.
- Help Exchange (HelpX) has a list of farms, homestays, ranches, lodges, B&Bs etc which invite volunteer helpers to stay with them short-term in exchange for food and accomodation.
- CouchSurfing is free service where you can find place to stay overnight in someone´s home.
- Openstreetmap service provides free routable maps all over the world for Garmin devices.
- Malsingmaps Maps for SE Asia, Mainly Malaysia, Singapore and Indonesia (will check in coming months how accurate this is in Indonesia). Map is free.
- www.hemuli.eu is my homepage. Unfortunately most of it is in Finnish at the moment, but I will translate it also to english at some point during the trip
- Dynamic Motors: (N13º 45.655′ E100º 30.368′). BMW and other brands can be serviced here. They can also get your aluminium part welded.
- BKK Motorcycle: (N13º 41.027′ E100º 32.544′). BMW motorcycle service. Ask Kevin, he speaks good english. Good place to service your BMW bike. Update: BKK-motorcycles has a new office (coordinates up-to-date now)
- Dirt Shop: (N13º 43.106′ E100º 40.036′). Official Öhlins distributor and service center in Thailand. If needed, same day service could be possible.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia:
- Sunny Cycle: Good place to stop by when you are in Kuala Lumpur. Owner, Sunny is a really nice guy and you can easily spend some time just chatting with him. If needed, you can store your bike over here for some time (I left my bike there for two weeks).
- Motorrad Corner: If you have any problems with your bike, Motorrad corner can help (they are specialised to BMW, but can help you no matter which brand you are riding with).
Great help can be received from the owner Grattianno Deru.BMW motorrad Indonesia
Bintaro Utama 9 JB 1/4
Tangerang 15229grat @ motorradindonesia DOT com
+62 838 9091 6868S 06º 16.856′
E 106º 42.629′
- Yudi, a real motorbike enthusiast can help you if you have any problems in eastern Jawa. Just send me a message and I can give you his contact details. Truly a great guy!
- Darwin: Alicross (S12° 25.625′ E130° 53.441′) is a good place to get new tires (they even have Heidenau´s in their stock!) or some service done for your bike. Fast and good service!
- Melbourne: BM Motorcycles, recommended BMW-shop (not official) by a local BMW motorists.
Other traveller´s websites
- Uli & Annaleen have been travelling already few years and are now close to finish their trip.
- Heike & Filippo started the trip a bit earlier than I, I met them last time in Bangkok.
- Jose & Pilar are riding from Spain to Australia
- Check updated list from my fb-page likes 🙂
- Hotel La Hasienda Newly opened hotel in Kupang, Indonesia.
Really clean and nice, German owner, free wifi.
Covered parking for motorcycle in the fenced yard (there is also carpark in fenced yard).
Few minutes from the airport.S 10º09.955′
E 123º39.393’Email or call to the owner.
- Creel: Hotel Real de Chapultepec
Small, cheap, wifi works outside, owner speaks english, price (Dec 2014) 250 pesos, breakfast 60 pesos.
Owner knows all mechanics in town, so you can get your bike or car repaired (also aluminium welding).
Bikes and cars can be parked in the yard, gates will be locked over night.
- Guadalajara: http://www.hosteldelrefugio.com
Nice, clean, good wifi, owner speaks english, bike mechanic few blocks away. Booked via booking.com for 4 nights ($60 without tax).
Motorcycles and few cars can be parked in inner yard, gates are locked all the time.Address: Calle Juan Álvarez 927, 44200 Guadalajara, Jalisco
Highly recommended 🙂
- Campeche: Hostel Viatger Inn
New and really clean hostel in beautiful old town of Campeche. Hostel Viatger Inn.
Price for a night was 180 pesos in shared room (Dec 2014). Breakfast free.
Personnel speaks english.
Yard has parking space for motorcycles and cars. Gates to the yard are locked all the time.
Location of this hostel is perfect. Cheap local restaurants only few hundred meters away.
Other important links:
- Cakra shipping: (N05º24.855′ E100º20.284′) Mr Lim can organize your bike´s shipping from Penang (Malaysia) to Indonesia. His contact information can be found from Horizons Unlimited -site or you can contact me and I send you his email address. From Belawan (Indonesia) you can find office from (N03º46.833′ E098º41.112′). Important note: Do not wear shorts!
- Matzen Cargo: Good company to ship your bike from Sydney onwards. I used them to ship my bike from Sydney to Christchurch. Contact Eric or Christian. Phone: 02 9316 4482. Address: 54 Raymond Avenue, Matraville NSW 2036, Australia.
- Timor-Leste embassy, Denpasar, Indonesia: S08º40.372′ E115º14.311′
- Timor-Leste embassy, Kupang, Indonesia: S10º09.859′ E123º36.491′
- Lombok ferry terminal to Sumbawa, Indonesia: S08º29.172′ E116º40.464′
- Sumbawa ferry terminal to Flores, Indonesia: S08º34.413′ E119º01.248′
- Flores ferry terminal to Kupang, Indonesia: S08º20.692′ E122º57.074′
- Camping in Australia: Oz camps, good site to check independent camping sites in Australia. You can even download these sites to your GPS.
- Discounts in New Zealand: Bookme.co.nz, good site to find discounts in NZ. These discounts are mainly for attractions.
- NZ tracks, here are some tracks from NZ Adventure riders.