My process to import bike (BMW R1200GS) from Sydney (Australia) to Christchurch (New Zealand) by airfreight (December 2013):
- I contacted several airlines (Quantas, Emirates and Air New Zealand), all of them asked me to get in touch with freight forwarder (I got recommendation for two different companies: Matzen Cargo and DB Schenker.
All ebay parts are now here! Unfortunately I was not able to get all the big parts from ebay, which means that I need to buy them from Touratech, BMW and SR-racing. Good thing was that most of them I was able to find from ebay, because this way I saved roughly 70% of the costs! If I would have needed to buy all the parts new, then total cost would have been around €7000!!! Continue reading
Now I have updated my personal protection.
I got new helmet, new gloves (this time full leather) and new protection jacket. Continue reading
Today I purchased a new helmet. Arai has worked really well and it saved my life in the resent accident, so I decided to stay in familiar brand and just got the newest version, Tour-X4. Continue reading
Thank you for the nice and positive feedback what I have received via comment field!
Got all my passports back now with all needed visas! Only thing what is missing anymore is Greencard (I have few of them but none have correct address) which I hopefully receive latest on Monday.
It is funny how busy these last weeks have been, even I started preparations months ago.
Been packing during the weekend and got almost all the stuff fitted in. I still need to do one repacking on Sunday and throw some clothes and other stuff away. Continue reading
Few things have happened now after my last blog update:
– Problem with the throat – Have now taken antibiotics for 6 days and visited hospital yesterday (because swelling had not disappeared completely). Doctor in the hospital said “this is normal swelling which could happen at any time, so I can release you to your trip”… Excellent! So, there was no need to take those antibiotics and suffer upset stomache… Continue reading
10 days till start and now things have started rolling…
– Yesterday I gave-up my apartment –> so I am homeless
– Today was my last working day –> so I am unemployed
– Today I sold my car –> so bike is my only mode of transportation from now on! Continue reading
Time is flying, fast! Maybe too fast…
May is almost gone, 3 weeks till to the start.
Have not had any time to think about what is going to start soon. Been organizing things, getting final bike parts, arranging banking (getting additional credit cards, etc) etc etc. Continue reading
One month has passed since previous post! Time is going really fast at the moment… 1,5 month anymore till I will stop working…
So, what has happened in past month (main items)? Continue reading
Less than 3 months to go to the point when I start my trip! Work will end in around 3 months – 1 week 🙂
Vaccinations started 3 weeks ago. Still several shots to go… I do not even know all the vaccinations what I will receive, but I trust my doctor that these are really needed 🙂
I have received thorough check-up and everything is ok, so healthwise i am ready to go…
Some paperwork has started.
Visa processes are just starting, applying now 10 visas (Armenia, Azerbaijan, Russia, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Kirgistan, China, Pakistan and India). For these visas I am using professional service from www.visapoint.de. Even I have to pay something for the service I thought it is better because getting all these visas will be pain in the a** 🙂